The coronavirus outbreak has resulted in a huge crash in the stock market in India and the world. As the number of cases and casualties are rapidly increasing, there seems no stoppage in tanking the stock prices. In the last 30 days, the Indian benchmark Indexes ‘Sensex’ and ‘nifty’ fell over 30%. This is one of the fastest crashes ever seen in the stock market history.
Moreover, the month of March 2020 also witnessed two lower circuits where the exchanges were forced to stop trading for 45 minutes as the market fell over 10% within a day trading session.
Anyways, as the indexes and stock prices are down significantly since the outbreak, there may be some silver lining for the investors to pick good stocks at a huge bargain. Here is a quick study of the Nifty 50 constituent stocks and how they performed in the month of Feb-March 2020.
Nifty 50 Stocks – Feb March 2020 Performance
|SYMBOL||COMPANY NAME||Price as of 1st Feb 2020||Current Price (24 March 2020)||Change (%)|
|ADANIPORTS||Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ld||367.35||236.5||-35.62%|
|BRITANNIA||Britannia Industries Ltd||3230.05||2390||-26.01%|
|BAJFINANCE||Bajaj Finance Ltd||4359.35||2511||-42.40%|
|MARUTI||Maruti Suzuki India Ltd||7011.3||4545||-35.18%|
|HCLTECH||HCL Technologies Ltd||579.1||449||-22.47%|
|HINDUNILVR||Hindustan Unilever Ltd||2178.95||2011||-7.71%|
|KOTAKBANK||Kotak Mahindra Bank Ltd||1676.25||1178.65||-29.69%|
|RELIANCE||Reliance Industries Limited||1385.5||946||-31.72%|
|NESTLEIND||Nestle India Limited||16301||13639.95||-16.32%|
|ICICIBANK||ICICI Bank Ltd||515.55||298.55||-42.09%|
|TATAMOTORS||Tata Motors Limited Fully Paid Ord. Shrs||163.85||68.95||-57.92%|
|DRREDDY||Dr.Reddy's Laboratories Ltd||3144.15||2880||-8.40%|
|ONGC||Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Limited||103.45||62.7||-39.39%|
|TITAN||Titan Company Ltd||1186.4||828||-30.21%|
|NSE:UPL||UPL Ltd Fully Paid Ord. Shrs||513.3||263||-48.76%|
|EICHERMOT||Eicher Motors Ltd||19883.45||14150||-28.84%|
|SUNPHARMA||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited||417.55||334||-20.01%|
|ASIANPAINT||Asian Paints Ltd||1867.65||1536||-17.76%|
|JSWSTEEL||JSW Steel Limited Fully Paid Ord. Shrs||251.5||148||-41.15%|
|TECHM||Tech Mahindra Ltd||793.15||498||-37.21%|
|SBIN||State Bank of India||298.1||185.4||-37.81%|
|TCS||Container Store Group Inc||4.19||2.81||-32.94%|
|BAJAJ-AUTO||Bajaj Auto Ltd||3284.5||1969.1||-40.05%|
|HINDALCO||Hindalco Industries Ltd||181.8||89||-51.05%|
|BHARTIARTL||Bharti Airtel Limited||510.05||411.55||-19.31%|
|COALINDIA||Coal India Ltd||178.65||129||-27.79%|
|SHREECEM||Shree Cement Limited||23267.5||17030||-26.81%|
|HDFCBANK||HDFC Bank Limited||1192.8||774.8||-35.04%|
|TATASTEEL||Tata Steel Limited Fully Paid Ord. Shrs||436.05||271.9||-37.64%|
|HEROMOTOCO||Hero Motocorp Ltd||2376.15||1618||-31.91%|
|GAIL||GAIL (India) Limited||114.5||77.7||-32.14%|
|BAJAJFINSV||Bajaj Finserv Ltd||9086.15||4600||-49.37%|
|BPCL||Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd||460.3||268||-41.78%|
|LT||Larsen & Toubro Limited||1286.65||710||-44.82%|
|ULTRACEMCO||UltraTech Cement Ltd||4370.65||3030||-30.67%|
|HDFC||Housing Development Finance Corp Ltd||2259.75||1504.35||-33.43%|
|IOC||Indian Oil Corporation Ltd||108.05||79.75||-26.19%|
|AXISBANK||Axis Bank Ltd||708.95||304.8||-57.01%|
|ZEEL||Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited Fully Paid Ord. Shrs||256.6||119.6||-53.39%|
|INFRATEL||Bharti Infratel Ltd||229.3||140||-38.94%|
|POWERGRID||Power Grid Corporation of India Limited||187.35||148.8||-20.58%|
|INDUSINDBK||Indusind Bank Ltd||1263.1||313.6||-75.17%|
|GRASIM||Grasim Industries Ltd||780.4||400||-48.74%|
|M&M||Mahindra & Mahindra Limited||558.7||270||-51.67%|
As you can notice from the above table, none of the constituents of Nifty 50 has given positive returns from 01 Feb 2020 till 24th March 2020. All of these stocks have given negative returns. However, the magnitude of the hammering in their prices varies from stocks to stocks.
- Out of the 50 stocks in NSE Nifty, only two companies were able to limit losses within -10%. These were Hindustan Unilever (-7.71%) and Dr Reddy’s laboratory (-8.4%).
- Next, 17 out of 50 companies’ share price has fallen between 10-30% in this time period. This list includes companies like Kotak Mahindra Bank (-29.7%), Eicher Motors (28.84%), ITC (-27.26%), Infosys (-21.81%), Asian Paints (-17.76%), NESTLE (-16.32%), etc.
- For 24 companies in Nifty 50, the share price has fallen between 30-50%. This might be a good opportunity to look into these companies from an investing point of view. A few major stocks in this range are Bajaj Finserv (-49.37%), ICICI Bank (-42.09%), Bajaj Finance (-42.4%), ONGC (-39.39%), Maruti Suzuki (-35.18%), HDFC Bank (-35.04%), Reliance Industries (-31.72%) etc.
- For the remaining 7 stocks, the coronavirus has turned out to be a disaster. Their share prices have fallen more than 50% from Feb 1 2020 till 24 March 2020. ‘IndusInd bank’ is the biggest loser in this list with the share price falling more than 75% in this time period.
- Other beaten-down stocks with a decline more than 50% are Tata Motors (-57.92%), Axis Bank (-57.01%), Vedanta (-55.38%), Zee Entertainement (-53.39%), Mahindra & Mahindra (-51.67%) and Hindalco (-51.05%).
As India and the world are still fighting the war against coronavirus, the market is expected to decline further until this pandemic is contained. However, for the bargain hunters, this might be a great opportunity to pick the biggest companies in India at an amazingly discounted price.
Take care & till next time…!
Hi, I am Kritesh (Tweet me here), an NSE Certified Equity Fundamental Analyst and an electrical engineer (NIT Warangal) by qualification. I have a passion for stocks and have spent my last 4+ years learning, investing and educating people about stock market investing. And so, I am delighted to share my learnings with you. #HappyInvesting